5th Annual SoCal Chef Open Benefits Oak Grove Center
Monday night marked the 5th annual SoCal Chef Open held at Pechanga Resort and Casino in their Grand...
Each year the Chef Open committee invites select standout chefs from around the Inland Empire to compete in an all out cooking competition for the prestigious title of Top Chef, awarded by the public’s tally of votes. The Judge’s Pinnacle Award is also awarded based on presentation, creativity, taste, and the use of locally sourced ingredients.
This year a total of 12 local chefs competed including;
• Chef Francesco Cusimano from Rustico Ristorante Pizzeria
• Executive Chef Andrew Selz from Cellarz 93
• Executive Chef Steve Stawinski from Wilson Creek Winery
• Chef Daniel Chong-Jimenez from Pechanga Resort & Casino
• Chef Ramon Garcia from Grapes & Tomatoes
• Chef Sharon Cunningham from Table Talk Catering
• Chef Michael Allen Cragg from Temecula Catering
• Chef Pantipa Kunanupatham from Tasty Thai Cuisine
• Chef Toribio Martin from The Lazy Dog Café
• Chef Rosie O’Connor from Provecho Grill
• Chef Rene' Ehmcke from The Gambling Cowboy
• Chef Chris Baily from Baily’s Old Town Temecula
Monday’s event brought in over 450 hungry people who all tasted and cast their votes for the best tasting culinary creation. The 2012 People’s Choice Award went to Executive Chef Andrew Selz from Cellarz 93 for his expertly created crabcakes and spicy aioli.
The 2012 Judge’s Pinnacle Award was presented to Chef Francesco Cusimano from
Rustico Ristorante & Pizzeria for the best overall presentation, creativity, taste and bonus points for using locally foraged produce or proteins. He served up a homemade pappardelle pasta, made using local organic eggs from the Temecula Farmers Market, topped with wild boar ragu and garnished with