Phoeba Irey, MUSD Candidate Statement
The following is a statement from Phoeba Irey, candidate for Menifee School Board... I have been a public school teacher for nearly 40 years...
The following is a statement from Phoeba Irey, candidate for Menifee School Board...
I have been a public school teacher for nearly 40 years, the last two years were as a Reading Consultant at Menifee Elementary. I was president of the state organization, Reading Specialists of California, from 1993 to 1996. In April, 2008 I earned a Masters in Governance Certificate from the California State School Boards Association.
My husband, John Irey, and I have been married 45 years. We have three children and five grandchildren. Our daughter, Shelly Whelen, teaches first grade at Callie Kirkpatrick Elementary. Three of our grandchildren went through the Menifee school system and have now graduated from Paloma High. All three are currently enrolled in college.
During my four years on the Menifee school board I have been successful in helping to:
If reelected, I will:
- Get approval to switch to a single track.
- Get the unification process started.
- Save and expand the elementary music program.
- Save most student transportation.
- Contract with "We Tip" which has resulted in reducing vandalism.
- Get solar panels installed at MVMS which have produced approximately $11,000 worth of electricity since April, 2008.
- Get seatbelts installed on all Menifee Union buses.
- Encouraged best practices in teaching.
- Support better communication at all levels.
- Encourage schools to apply to become California Distinguished Schools. (Three Menifee Schools have been honored as California Distinguished Schools in the past four years.)
- Save the district approximately $8,000 a year by choosing not to use the district's health plan.
Please Vote IREY for Excellence in Education.
- Keep working for Excellence in Education for all students.
- Encourage schools to keep websites up to date.
- Work for a smooth transition to single track.
- Listen to community concerns.
- Continue to support the unification process.